Born 13 Sep 1855, Whitelets, Cragmark, Ayr, Scotland
Died 26 Jan 1930, Midway, Wasatch, Utah, USA

Testimony of Robert Booth MONTGOMERY

Husband of Mary Elizabeth LAMBERT,

(Daughter of John and Eline Hansine LARSEN LAMBERT)

Written by his daughter, Ruby MONTGOMERY PROVOST

Date of experience: 23 Jan 1930, Midway, Wasatch, Utah

Thursday morning, at 10:00 a.m., as I got my father out of bed and got him dressed, he said to me in a joking way--"I had a vision last night." And I replied, "I hope it's not the same kind of visions that Sam Cluff has." Sam was famous for his visions and attempts at rewriting the Bible. I asked dad what it was and he said that he would tell me after I got through washing and getting breakfast. After preparing some hot cakes and a cup of fresh buttermilk, which he ordered special that morning, he said that he would like a cup of coffee---something that he had never drunk before, to my knowledge. It was also abnormal the way he had been eating that morning for he put extra amounts of both cream and sugar into the coffee--until it had run over the side of the cup, filling the saucer. After my washing was done, he had me sit down just to the side of the old coal stove in the kitchen.

Dad sat in his chair in front of the stove and looked towards me. He was very happy as he began relating the vision to me. This was comforting to me, for he had been suffering greatly the last five and one half years from a stroke which had crippled him, especially in his left side. To better help him move, he had to use one crutch and a brace was placed on his shoe so his ankle wouldn't turn. This cheerfulness, to my gladness, continued throughout the day.

The first thing dad told me was that he had had a vision and talked with my mother [Mary Elizabeth Lambert Montgomery] and the three children in our family that had died--my two brothers and my sister-- Robert, Dan, and Pearl. Also, he talked to mother's father--Grandpa John Lambert, and saw Brigham Young in one group in the midst of the most beautiful setting he had ever seen---green grass and trees, benches, and flowers were everywhere. It was a place filled with love, peace and happiness--a heaven on earth. Everyone was in a family group, and all the inhabitants were dressed in their white temple clothes. He also saw his first wife, Sarah Young, who was in the group with my mother. Sarah had been sickly all of her life, and they had had no children. She had died some years before from heart trouble.

Among other groups were dad's close childhood friends he had associated with in Heber. Among them he saw--the Rasbands, the Crooks, the Giles, Carliles and Lairds---some of his fellow Scotsmen. Also some of his close friends of Midway, in his later life---Charles and Everice Bronson and James Wright from Charleston were there. These three men had been regular visitors of dad's, especially Charles Bronson who had been a daily visitor until a week before my father's death. Dad had been wondering why Charles hadn't been coming to see him, the last few days, and I didn't want to make him feel bad in saying he had died the week before from a heart attack. So I was surprised as he began relating the story of him and Charley and James Wright.

He said that the three men were on one side of a big creek, which was dry and dusty and hot, with weeds growing up along the banks. They could see from this spot across to the other side where all the people were milling around. It was a huge place with dozens and dozens of acres of land. They discovered they had to come to a bridge to get across to the beautiful place which they all three were striving for. Charley Bronson was in the lead. He wasn't very well, but he seemed to be able to go without much help. Then dad was next with his crutch. They had to sit down often to rest and were very thirsty. Jim Wright was behind them a little ways, but they would wait for him to catch up before going farther.

Finally they came to the footbridge. There were rails on each side of it. Dad said Charley soon saw his 14 year old boy on the other side of the bridge. At the time I never knew Charley to have a 14 year old boy, and I doubted this, but dad insisted on the fact. Soon after this, I asked one of Charley's relations about him having a son. I was told that, Yes, Charley did have a son. He had died of dyphtheria many years before. Dad said he was a tall, thin boy, like Charley had been. This boy met Charley and took him over to his family who had died before him. Charley looked toward my dad and told him--"I'll be right here when your turn comes."

Thereafter Jim and dad sat down by the side of the bridge. As dad continued to relate this story to me, he said: "Ruby, don't feel bad, I am going where I will be happy." And again turning back to the story, he said to Jim: "We will be waiting for you." Dad, then again, said to me: "Ruby, Jim Wright is going to die." I tried to kid him out of it, but he was dead serious, although he was usually quite a joker. He asked me write it down right then.

This was the conclusion, and I was kind of upset and jolted, so I failed to write the vision at that time. It was now around 12:00 noon, but dad wasn't very hungry. He said a little later, "Would you mind if I sent Bob up to Guy's for a little sack of those chocolates I like?" So I bundled [my son] Bob up good and warm, and he went to Guy's to get dad $.25 worth of chocolates. Bob was back shortly, and they enjoyed some of the chocolates.

Dad sat in a rocking chair in the afternoon until about 4:00. I had been outside getting my frozen clothes off of the line. As I came in, I noticed that dad didn't look very well in the face. I asked him if he didn't feel good. He said he felt fine, but just then--he scooted out of the chair, and landed on the floor. I couldn't lift him, so I sent Bob up to [my brother-in-law] Luke Provost's where [my husband] Wallace's father happened to be. He came down and helped me get dad on the couch. I knew he'd had another stroke. Dad had had minor strokes before, but this was a massive one. It paralyzed him and took his speech. He couldn't speak a word.

I hurried and sent for the doctor and T.A. Dannenberg came quickly. He said there was nothing we could do--only make him comfortable. [My brothers] Cebert and Earl helped me night and day. Wallace's father also was very good to help. Wallace was in Strawberry, but he came right home and helped me. Dad lived until Sunday, until 10 minutes after nine o'clock p.m. This was on the 26th of January 1930.

Just shortly after he died, Naomi Burgener, Ruby Probst, and Nellie Wright, who taught school at Midway, and was the daughter of Jim Wright, came in. I told Nellie--"Some day I have something to tell you." She asked me what it was, and I told her that I would tell her later.

My father's funeral was in the Stake Tabernacle in Heber City, on the 29th of January,1930. He was buried in the Heber City Cemetery. A week from the night my father died at 9:00, Nellie Wright's father died suddenly of a heart attack. He is buried in the Midway Cemetery. This can be verified by the grave marker. I went to his funeral and I told his daughter, Nellie, what I had wanted to tell her about her father following mine in death. This was a testimony to her, as it was and is to me also.

Signed: Ruby M. Provost

(Words in brackets added where deemed necessary for clarification.)

More about Robert Booth Montgomery:

Emigration to Utah

Back to Histories Index

| Home | Family | Ancestry | Histories | Old Photos | Headstones | Utah Pioneers | Views of Utah | Views of Wales | Welsh Photo Links | Danish Photo Links |